The Institution of Engineering and Technology (专业) is a not-for-profit membership body with more than 155,000 engineering and technology professionals in 148 countries. 我们的任务是提供信息, inspire and influence the engineering community and we do this by providing a range of services to members and customers, which may include services to children.
The 专业 is licensed by the Engineering Council to deliver professional registration to help our members achieve their career goals, while our fundraising activities help aspiring engineers through our support of STEM Education programmes, 奖, Scholarships and Bursaries. In order to develop the services, support and carry out activities our members and customers need, the 专业 will in many circumstances collect personal data.
This 隐私 Policy sets out details of the personal data that the 专业 collects, and the ways in which it may use that information. The 专业 is registered as a charity in England & Wales (no 211014) and Scotland (no SC038698).
It is supported by a wholly-owned trading subsidiary, 专业 Services Limited. 专业 brands include 收集, E&T, Electrical 标准, 布线规则, Faraday and Venues. Additionally, the 专业 maintains a relationship with 立足, 的慈善基金, which is a separate charity that offers services to members in need of special assistance
适当的, the 专业 may disclose your information to any of these legal entities for the purposes of introducing and delivering goods and services to you. In order to offer you the 专业's global activities, it may be necessary to share personal data with 专业 Local Networks (set up and run by 专业 volunteers for the benefit of members), and 专业 offices outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
专业 Services Limited is registered in England & 威尔士(909719).
The data that the 专业 requests and why it needs them
We want to deliver the best possible member and customer experience so you will be asked to share personal data with us in order to help us process your requirements and deliver the services you have requested. We may also use this information to enhance the services we provide and improve your experience of using them, 例如, 我们的网站, 在线社区, events registration portal and other online services.
通常, the following details are required in order to supply any products that you have ordered, or for event registration purposes: name, address and other contact information such as 电话号码 and email address. If you are (or are applying to become) a member of the 专业, your personal data will be used to provide the members' services that you require.
If you are seeking the M专业, F专业 or TM专业 category of membership, or you have asked for support to achieve professional registration, then further information may be required from you, such as educational and employment history, plus the name of a qualified supporter, in order to assess your application. Some of this information will be shared with the Engineering Council in order to register your professional status (Chartered Engineer, 注册工程师, Engineering Technician or ICT Technician). On the occasion where the 专业 receives personal data indirectly about a supporter or sponsor, the 专业 will contact that individual within one month to notify them of their rights under this Policy.
The 专业 captures the services, publications and other products that you have selected and stores these against your record. If you contribute to the work of the 专业, 例如 by serving on a committee, this will also be recorded; the information may then be used to provide you with access to any special services that the 专业 provides to assist our volunteers.
When you order products or services through the 专业 websites, you will be invited to register a website log-in account. You may also create a log-in account to gain access to services such as the 专业's 在线社区, to take part in discussions or, 成为专业的成员, access pages where you can update your membership information. 网站注册, you will be asked for your name and email address, plus the country in which you live. This allows the 专业 to know which of its events and local member activities take place in your country or region.
The 专业 sometimes collects the personal data of senior staff of organisations, 信托基金和基金会, made available publicly through sources; such as the organisations own website, Companies House and the Charities Commission website. This information is collected and used in pursuit of the 专业’s legitimate interests in furthering the 专业’s charitable mission.
If you choose to participate in 专业 competitions or prize draws, we ask you to provide the required information, as set out in our events information pages. If you win a competition that includes the shipment of a prize, we will contact you to ask for a delivery address to deliver the prize. We process this information so that you are able to participate in our competitions and so that we can notify/announce you as winner, in accordance with the terms and conditions of the competition agreed between us. We may also use your aforementioned personal information to detect and prevent fraud and misuse of our Services.
What the 专业 does with your data
The 专业 protects the privacy of your information using secure servers. The information that you provide will be kept confidential and only used to support the 专业's relationship with you.
Your details will be made available, 适当的, to those officers of the 专业 who are responsible for the services that you request. Services such as Local Network activities and advice on achieving professional registration are mostly delivered by volunteer members. Publications and membership subscriptions are examples of services mostly delivered by the staff in the main offices.
If you are a member or customer of the 专业 your information will be processed by the 专业 for its sole use and that of its associated organisations, including your Local Network, for the purpose of promoting, delivering and improving your experience of the 专业, its products and services or such other purposes as are described in this 隐私声明.
The information that you provide may be held and used by the 专业 for market analysis and production of internal reports, for marketing its products and services generally and (subject to any preference that you may indicate when submitting your details) for sending information to you about its activities, 服务和出版物.
To improve our marketing communications, we use a similar technology to cookies to confirm whether you have opened a marketing email or clicked on a link in the email. We sometimes use profiling techniques to do this. You can change your preferences at any time; please see the section below for information on how to do this.
When you purchase goods and services from us, we may also use your information to carry out a sanctions check.
Your personal data may be disclosed and transferred to third parties in the UK, to help us deliver our service to you and to enable the 专业 to meet any legal or other legitimate obligations.
Your personal data may also be disclosed and transferred to third parties outside of the UK and European Economic Area (the “EEA”), to help us deliver services to you and to enable the 专业 to meet any legal or other legitimate obligations in that country.
Typical examples of where we may use third parties to help us deliver services and meet legal obligations include:
- IT and business services providers
- Event management organisations
- Auditing, legal and trustees
- Survey management providers
- bet8网址 bodies to support professional registration
在这两种情况下, we ensure all such third parties have appropriate measures and controls in place to protect your information, in accordance with applicable data protection laws and regulations and regulatory guidance in place at any given time.
偶尔, the 专业 may invite visitors to their websites to provide data to improve the site, or its services or marketing. Answering any questions will be optional.
The 专业 uses payment services providers, 例如, Netbanx, 贝宝, 苏格兰皇家银行, WorldPay, 或Paysafe, to enable you to make purchases on the 专业 Webshop or to pay online for other services. The 专业 makes it clear on the payment pages that you are being transferred to one of these sites.
Some events or publications, 在专业网站上列出, are organised in co-operation with other organisations. When you register for this type of event or publication, it will be made clear with whom your registration data is being shared.
The 专业 websites may give preferential access to some third-party services; often this is restricted to members only. When you register for a third-party service, it will be clearly explained that the 专业 will need to share your data with the third-party company before you can receive the service.
否则, except for the purposes of law enforcement, regulation or legal proceedings, or with your explicit permission, the 专业 will not give or sell your personal data.
Data protection law and the 专业
The 专业 operates under the UK General Data Protection Regulation (‘UK GDPR’). The UK GDPR applies to ‘personal data’ we process. 根据英国的GDPR, the data protection principles set out the main responsibilities for organisations and the 专业 is responsible for and must be able to demonstrate, compliance with the principles.
We must ensure that personal data shall be:
- processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner
- 为指定的收集, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes
- 足够的, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are processed
- accurate and where necessary kept up to date
- kept for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data are processed: We retain your information in accordance with our information security, data retention and deletion policies. These set out the criteria we use to determine how long we keep information. When deciding what to retain, we take into account what information we need to best provide you with services, to manage your relationship with us, meet our statutory and legal obligations and meet our members’ and customers’ reasonable expectations. For details of our current retention policy contact our data protection officer at email@example.com.
- processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal data, including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, 破坏或损坏, using appropriate technical or organisational measures.
The 专业 processes your personal data based on contract, legitimate interests or by obtaining consent.
在大多数情况下, the 专业 processes personal data based on an individual’s contract with the 专业, 例如, a membership agreement or request for products or services. In other cases, the 专业 processes personal data only where there are legitimate grounds for so doing.
Where any 专业 products and services are offered to children aged 16 and under, we shall obtain consent from a parent or guardian to process the child’s data.
To meet its Data Protection obligations under the UK GDPR, the 专业 has established comprehensive and proportionate governance measures.
The 专业 has its own dedicated Data Protection Officer to oversee our UK GDPR compliance across the organisation.
An individual’s rights under data protection law
根据英国的GDPR an individual has the following rights in respect of the personal data processed by the 专业:
- The right to be informed about how the 专业 uses personal data. This 隐私声明 explains who we are; the purposes for which we process personal data and our legitimate interests in so doing; the categories of data we process; third party disclosures; and details of transfers of personal data outside the UK.
- The right of access to the personal data we hold. In most cases, this will be free of charge and must be provided within one month of receipt. Please contact the 专业’s Data Protection Officer to request this.
- The right to rectification where data are inaccurate or incomplete. 在这种情况下, we shall make any amendments or additions within one month of your request.
- The right to erasure of personal data, but only in very specific circumstances, typically where the personal data are no longer necessary in relation to the purpose for which it was originally collected or processed; or, in certain cases where we have relied on consent to process the data when that consent is withdrawn and there is no other legitimate reason for continuing to process that data; or when the individual objects to the processing and there is no overriding legitimate interest for continuing the processing.
- The right to restrict processing, 例如, while we are reviewing the accuracy or completeness of data, or deciding on whether any request for erasure is valid. 在这种情况下, we shall continue to store the data, but not further process it until such time as we have resolved the issue.
- The right to data portability which, subject to a number of qualifying conditions, allows individuals to obtain and reuse their personal data for their own purposes across different services.
- The right to object in cases where processing is based on legitimate interests, where the 专业 requirement to process the data are overridden by the rights of the individual concerned; or for the purposes of direct marketing (including profiling); or for processing for purposes of scientific or historical research and statistics, unless this is for necessary for the performance of a public interest task.
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling.
The 专业’s supervisory authority for UK GDPR compliance is the UK Information Commissioner (www.图标.org.uk):
Information Commissioner's Office
Please contact the Information Commissioner's Office for more information about the UK GDPR and your rights under data protection law.
If you have a complaint about data protection at the 专业, please contact our Data Protection Officer.
Tracking your behaviour on 专业 websites
Subject to the preferences that you have indicated, the 专业 may send emails to its existing members, customers and registered website users. Links included in these may be personalised to allow us to determine which members and customers followed such links.
All Web servers record each page request, together with the time and date, and the Internet (IP) address of the user who requested the page. 除了, the 专业 uses Google Analytics, which records the pages requested from particular IP addresses using a small piece of code in the web page. Where an 专业 website restricts access to staff or students of particular organisations, the 专业 may also test your IP address to determine whether it falls into the ranges used by subscriber organisations for that service. Server logs allow the 专业 to see general trends, such as which areas of the site are popular, the most frequent paths that users follow, 等等. This helps to improve the site for you in future.
The 专业 may sometimes use tools to track and analyse telephone and website enquiries.
Amending or accessing your personal information preferences
The accuracy of your personal details is important to the 专业.
If you are a registered website user, then you can log on to 1igw32du.allinfree.net to review and update your contact details and mailing preferences in the "My 专业" area of the site.
否则, if you would like to change your email address, 你的邮件首选项, or you need to advise the 专业 of any other changes, please contact us via the online enquiry form or you can telephone us.
Please ensure that you provide enough information for staff to identify you (such as the address that the 专业 is using to communicate with you and your membership number if you are a member).
You can request a copy of the personal data that the 专业 holds about you. Please apply in writing to the Data Protection Officer at the 专业's business address, 包括你的名字, address, 电话号码, and membership number if you have one. Please also contact the Data Protection Officer if you would like further information about this policy, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your passwords are your responsibility. For your own protection and to protect your personal data, you should not disclose your passwords, including your 专业 account password, 任何第三方.
If you access 专业 websites from a PC that can be used by any other person, make sure you always follow good security practices.
If you suspect that your password or account information has been compromised, please inform us promptly and change your password immediately.
If you choose to log in to 我们的网站 using a social media log in, you are granting permissions to that social media provider to share your user details with us.
This privacy statement only covers the web services offered by the 专业. Other external websites are governed by their own privacy statements. We are not responsible for policies or procedures for sites not operated for or on behalf of the 专业.
The privacy of members and visitors is important to the 专业. This policy will be kept under continual review, and changes may be made from time to time.
Updated on: 13 October 2021
Updated on: 7 February 2020
Updated on: 1 November 2018